Thursday, November 26, 2009

Video: Emerging City Innovation

Since 2007, most of the world's population lives in cities. How can we make sure these urban centers are good homes for humanity? Cities from Bogota and Rio de Janeiro to Seoul are leading the way, using fresh ideas to reduce pollution and waste; provide efficient, clean transportation; and support biodiversity.
Besides making cities smarter, it’s important to make them safe. Citizens that live in unsafe neighborhoods have little motivation to bike more than 5 blocks away from their house. On a personal note, I would love to bike or use the bus to get to work or school, by all means I would love to sell my car, I truly hate that thing But my options aren't that great in Indianapolis. This city is very spread out and biking doesn't seem like a feasible option in the winter. My obligations are all over town and having a car is the most convenient. But these new city have yet to be designed and having a smart city plan is a step towards sustainability.

No comments:

Post a Comment