Thursday, November 26, 2009

1080p and 720p YouTube

Youtube seems to be constantly upgrading and fiddling with one thing or another. Automatic captions was recently added (which I'll talk about next post). The most recent change I've seen is 1080p and 720p option on Youtube.
I must say the difference between 720 and 1080 is noticeable one. I'm noticing very fine details in 1080 that would have gone unnoticed in the 720. Ultimately, they both have clear video; it's just that 1080 is A LOT more clearer.
Don't worry, the point of this post wasn't to state the obvious that 1080 is better than 720. All I'm saying is that do we really need 1080? To be frank, how much immersive can an experience be? How much detail do we need? I'm not saying to stop development on TV technology, but all these distinctions (and stark distinctions in this case) are superfluous.
To be fair, this is all coming from a guy who's fine with an old convex screen TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment