Thursday, November 26, 2009

Twitter launching paid business accounts

Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/6635221/Twitter-launching-paid-business-accounts.html

My take on twitter: it dances on the fine line of genius and utterly stupid. I don't really understand it's popularity. I have my conjectures, but at the end of the day, its an anomaly to me. One thing I never understood was its business plan. Everything is free and there are no ads. How does it make money? Charging for 'premium' accounts seems like an obvious move that should have done months ago. But perhaps, I am underestimating the genius of Twitter yet again.
When the British came to India, they introduced tea to the culture. It was an instant hit. Upon realizing this, the British hiked up tea prices and made a killing.
Perhaps the creators of Twitter had a similar mindset of the British. They wanted to create a cultural dependency on its product before charging for a product that companies need to have.
Sneaky....sneaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment