Thursday, November 26, 2009

Steam punk

Steampunk is the mating of technology and romance, breeding some of the most intriguing gadget’s and art you’ve ever seen. It’s cool and brass-clad sexy. With a post apocalyptic type of rebellion, Steampunk enthusiast mod almost everything you can imagine and then some. This amazing urban art movement was birthed on the internet, so it’s no wonder hi-tech hardware hackers are romancing technology with a Victorian passion, yearning for the aesthetic realm of The Time That Never Happened; Steampunk – where the future meets the past.


The above description sums up what Steam-punk is. In brief, I like it. In a previous post, I mentioned my affinity for Photoshop manipulation and digital art. I want to make a distinction between digital art and art in the digital world. I feel that Steam punk is a wonderful example of the latter. Art in a digital can be but not usually as simple as paint on a canvas. I feel that art in a digital world needs to be as interactive as the digital world. This requisite did not exist in Van Gogh's time, but it does now. Art in the digital world needs to engage the viewer in the same way a website would. The question is Are artists able to meet the new and demanding challenge? I like to think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment