Thursday, November 26, 2009

Secret Knock detector

Steve Hoefer has taken his microcontroller and, along with a piezoelectric speaker, a gear reduction motor, and some PVC pipe, programmed it to listen for a preset sequence of knocks -- a secret knock, if you will -- and unlock the deadbolt upon hearing the right combination.

Upon seeing this, I was wowed. This is really cool. Actually, anything DIY is pretty cool. This happens to be exceptionally cool. But to be a wet blanket, I don't know if I want this to be the security device in my house. All it can take is someone listening in and the essentially have a key. If there was a voice detection key, that would be much more secure. Anyways, I would install this in my room door but certainly not on my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment